Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Nepotism in Kenya

In the past, the Ministry of Health used to have problems recruiting staff for the remote and desolate areas of the country. To solve this, therefore, the government came up with the idea of decentralizing the issue of recruitment. That’s why, in 2003, when the Ministry of Health advertised for tens of positions cutting across several cadres, one of which I was eligible for; all the candidates had to report to their preferred provinces for the selections. Thus, if your region was your favourite working place, just like me, then you had to present yourself at the respective provincial headquarters for the interviews.

In my case, the issue was more or less straightforward, or so I thought. My home district and the province in general, were in dire need of health professionals. Staff shortages were the norm rather than the exception in almost all the cadres. Thus, I didn’t even have to think twice about where I will attend the interviews at. So, I chose Garissa and presented myself at our local MTC on the appointed day. The interview went on well and I thought there was nothing to fear about. A job with the ministry was mine to take.

It took several months before the appointment letters were finally issued. Sadly, my name was not among the selected candidates. Not because I was unqualified for the job but due to corruption at the central level - Nairobi. Only candidates who had godfathers were chosen. I will later learn that many MPs canvassed for either their relatives or constituents with out regard to merit.

It, indeed, was a sad realization for me. I became bitter about the whole issue. I was unhappy at the fact that corruption was still rampant in the country. Mark you this was less than a year after the historic inauguration of Kibaki - in 2002. To make the matter worse the ministry sent a staff to Garissa who did not even attend the interviews in my home town. The lucky chap was from Nyeri, the home district of Kibaki.

Later, in Nairobi, I will bump into the chair of the panel and the first question he asked me was where I was posted to. I was stunned at the fact that he recalled me. I told him that I was not selected and that I was still jobless. This made him feel unhappy because, as he will tell me, I was one of the best candidates. He actually said that he was very impressed with my performance. Anyway, he promised to ‘fix’ me somewhere. Thus, less than two months later I will get my first real job ever. I was very grateful at that gesture. I know I will never forget that particular favour.

However, I do not begrudge the guy who was recruited for my home district. One key requirement of the job then was that we had to stick to our posting station without possibility of transfer. With a lot of hindsight I think I might not have fulfilled that condition. I seem to be very mobile when it comes to jobs; maybe it’s because of my nomadic roots. Anyway, I am happy the gentleman was still serving my people when I last checked.

By the way, I wasn’t the only one from my province who applied for the vacant positions then. All of my colleagues with the exception of one were selected. Incidentally, the one who was unlucky like me is now the provincial head, leading some of the guys who were chosen after the interview. I am happy for him too.

Now, coming to why I remembered this story. I currently live in Dubai and rarely get Kenyan newspapers. Yesterday evening, I got the Daily Nation for the previous day. Since I didn’t have much to do, and the fact that such papers are a treasure to me, I read from cover to cover.

While going through the pages, I came across names of some shortlisted candidates for secretarial positions with the government. The names were listed as per the respective province the candidates were to attend their interviews. However, I was shocked when I saw only one name that seemed ‘local’ among the ones listed under Northeastern Province. Curiously, I checked Coast and was surprised there were no apparent Swahili and Mijikenda names. Central Province was interesting; all the shortlisted names appeared to be very indigenous. The other provinces, luckily, did not have any particular community predominating.

I know we have just started our post referendum Kenya. It is too early, therefore, to expect miracles to happen. And I believe it will take time before we rid our country of corruption. However, I am confident that nepotism and other forms of favouritism will cease to happen in our New Kenya in the near future. Anyway, corruption is a learned habit and the same can effectively be unlearned.

Have a corruption free day.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Save And Share : Share On Facebook ! Share On Google Buzz ! Add To Del.icio.us ! Share On Digg ! Share On Reddit ! Share On LinkedIn ! Post To Blogger ! Share On StumbleUpon ! Share On Friend Feed ! Share On MySpace ! Share On Yahoo Buzz ! Share On Google Reader ! Google Bookmark ! Send An Email ! Blog Feed !